Here is some information about my skills, training & affiliations:
- I’m a Faculty Associate at Arizona State University in the School of Social Work. I’m teaching Stress Management Tools, a mindfulness based relaxation and life skills course for undergraduates.
- I’m writing a book called Sustainable Living, Mindful Eating which is for a new course being designed around my skills and interests in mindful eating and conscious living.
- I have earned two Masters’ of Science degrees in Nutrition and Clinical Health Psychology.
- I was trained as a dietician AND as a mental health counselor.
- I practice as a dietician & licensed as a Certified Nutritionist,with special knowledge on how to activate the change process, and help people learn skills that promote lifelong weight loss.
- I like working with people who have challenging eating patterns. That’s why I’m a board member of the International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals.
- I am an expert in Mindful Eating – a way to approach food and eating that promotes a “non-diet” approach to weight loss. That’s why I’m a member (and serve as a content expert) for The Center for Mindful Eating.
- I know a lot about Irritable Bowel Syndrome – had it myself, and learned how to manage it with diet and exercise. My clients really get better using my specialized approach!
- I’m a Mindfulness Consultant, certified as a yoga teacher and work as a yoga therapist. I’ve practiced yoga and mindfulness meditation myself for over twenty years.
- I teach people how to use yoga SAFELY to help identify feelings in their bodies – this knowledge helps them eat more intuitively and in tune with what they need.
- Yoga is not just for bendy people! It actually has a tremendous amount of medical evidence for its effectiveness for many health conditions, including weight loss.
- Yoga is also very effective for IBS, and I’ve helped many of my clients feel better with a diet and yoga approach.
- I’m certified as a provider in Compassionate Bereavement care by the Center for Loss and Trauma, an amazing organization dedicated to helping parents cope with the death of a child of any age. I work as the lead therapist of the MISS Foundation, based in Phoenix, AZ, and offer sliding scale counseling to those who want support for the most unbearable of all journeys.
- Other things I’ve done? I was a health care executive with a 50,000 employee health care company, and designed one of the most successful employee wellness programs currently offered. I worked at the VA Medical Center in Seattle as a program manager for the MOVE program, and helped veterans lose weight and manage diabetes and other medical conditions through diet and exercise. I was a therapist at a Seattle, WA community mental health agency and worked with many types of clients, helping them get better. I was an executive with Weight Watchers and designed programs and services for customers. I also was a meeting leader for 15 years, and helped inspire thousands of members to lose weight.
On a personal note….
- I’m a Mom, and my son is in Medical School at the University of Minnesota.
- I’m a wife, and my husband and I and our two fur children live in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- I’m a volunteer, a passionate advocate for animals, at the Arizona Humane Society.
- I keep up with yoga studies at the wonderful Desert Song yoga studio and master teacher Mary Beth Markus.
This is a short list of conditions I’m trained to treat:
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- binge eating disorder
- stress management
- functional movement
- cardiovascular disease
- gluten free and food intolerances
- behavioral and nutritional management of ADHD
- weight management
My private practice, Mindful Benefits is also known as Lisa Schmidt Counseling, LLC. I am THE Mindful Nutritionist!! I’m truly devoted to improving your health and wellness, one person at a time. I hope you’ll CONTACT ME for a free consultation.